- Dec 06, 2019
Everyday Kitchari (Phase 1)
Seed Blend: Pumpkin and Flax
Follicular phase foods include high protein for giving muscle building blocks and high-fat foods along with good sources of folate, vitamin B12 and vitamin E to nourish the follicle.
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground fennel
- 2 TBSP butter
- 1 Cup brown rice rinsed
- 1 Cup of split peas or green lentils soaked overnight
- 3-4 leaves of kale chopped and rinsed
- 1 tsp himalayan pink salt
- 2 TBSP Pumpkin/Flax blend
- 1 lemon wedge
- In a medium dutch oven on medium high heat dry roast the spices until fragrant.
- Add butter until melted and stir.
- Add rice and green lentils or split peas.
- Stir until spices are distributed evenly.
- Add chopped kale and salt.
- Pour water until the ingredients are covered completely. Bring to a boil, then cover and adjust temperature to low to simmer for 15-20 minutes. Add water again to cover the ingredients and stir. Return cover and turn the heat off while keeping the dutch oven on the same burner as it cools.
- Once cool garnish with Phase 1 Pumpkin/Flax blend and a squeeze of fresh lemon.
Pro Tip: Kitchari can be stored in the refrigerator for a few days. Simply heat up on the stove top and enjoy. You may need to add more water to thin it out as the rice will continue to absorb moisture. Day 3 is usually the best to enjoy Kitchari as it breaks down into a porridge consistency and is easier to digest.